Climbing Ayer's Rock - or rather not

You find topics about travel reports, country and people, plants and animals, planning your holiday, sports. Everything concerning Australia.
laurenz
Emu / Dromaius novae-hollandiae
Emu / Dromaius novae-hollandiae

Climbing Ayer's Rock - or rather not

Post by laurenz »

When I first visited Australia, I was very much impressed my Ayer's rock - but then, who isn't.
So, without reflecting much about it being a holy place for the original land owners (aborigines), I climbed it.
It sure was a memorable experience. The views of the surroundings were breathtaking and as the climb lasted longer than I would have thought from below, I even got to know a few other travellers along the way.
(Carrying a professional looking camera, I'm often asked to take other peoples' pictures and sometimes interesting conversations develop as a consequence).

I was happy to have a wind-tight jacket with me though, as the wind blows with amazing force at some places - while it can get quite hot at others.

Only when I returned years later did I see a sign stating clearly that the original owners would prefer people not to climb Ayer's rock.

This time, I decided agains repeating the climb and joined a guided group circling the rock instead. This gave me lots of fascinating insights (and photo opportunities...).
The ranger told us, among other things, that the aborigines believed that one of their own people would have to die for every tourist killed by the climb. At the time, there already was an impressive list.

I came back the next day to do some walking on my own, and when I came back to the starting point for the climb, a physician was treating a lifeless person...

I guess it's up to everybody's own conscience to decide whether to respect the wish of the local people or seek the adventure of a climb.

However, I can whole-heartedly recommend a tour circling the mountain and visiting all the small water holes, nooks and crevices.

Another fascinating alternative is a walk through the Olgas.

Laurenz

More photos http://australia.travelphoto.net/

Markus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Climbing Ayer's Rock - or rather not

Post by Markus »

Hi!
laurenz wrote:Only when I returned years later did I see a sign stating clearly that the original owners would prefer people not to climb Ayer's rock.

This time, I decided agains repeating the climb and joined a guided group circling the rock instead. This gave me lots of fascinating insights (and photo opportunities...).
I think you behave with respect :!:
First you decided savely and second you respected the Aborigines requirements.

The answer of the question "Should I climb Uluru?" is not easy. Tourists are happy to climb it but the Aborigines do not want the climbings on this holy mountain. My intention is a single climbing and no-one more. You should not displease the Aborigines more times.

ditido
Fächerblume / Scaevola aemula
Fächerblume / Scaevola aemula

Post by ditido »

I can understand the Beatles if they sang "Whisper words of wisdom: Let it be!"
That's my mind for climbing Uluru.
ditido
Time cures all things