Will the Kakadu National Park survive?

You find topics about travel reports, country and people, plants and animals, planning your holiday, sports. Everything concerning Australia.
Markus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Will the Kakadu National Park survive?

Post by Markus »

Hi,

since some years there is a discussion about big uranium resources in the Kakadu National Park.
This resources are in public interest because the economic goods are in contrast to the interests of the Aborigines and nature. My information say that mining was forbidden by the Australian government. But what will another government say?

The background:
In the Kakadu National Park you can visit culture places used by generations of Aborigines. This places show the rich culture. The Kakadu NP was inscribed in 1981 as a World Heritage by the UNESCO. This is special because of the two protection: The culture and the nature.
The mining would be a disaster for the Aborigines and the nature.

Have anyone new information?
Is there any chance to protect the Kakadu NP permanent?

Aussies-Online
Schnabeltier / Ornithorhynchus anatinus
Schnabeltier / Ornithorhynchus anatinus

Post by Aussies-Online »

Uranium has not been in the news in Australia for some time. I think it would be safe to assume that the demand for uranium in the Western World is diminishing as we are reducing our stock pile of nuclear weapons and nuclear central electric are loosing popularity.

If this present liberal government forbid the mining in Kakadu, it is very unlikely that the labour government would favourise it when it come into power.
Aussies-Online.com
Australia Online Business Directory

Markus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

Hi,

thanks for your statement.
Well, it is a good argument that the demand is diminishing. Germany made an agreement to close the nuclear power plants. It is a good sign that uranium is not in the Australian news.

But there is still the fear of other economic interests. Power is needed by everyone and at any time the resources are required. For the Kakadu Nationalpark I hope you are right. :|